The only nutritional guide designed specifically for dental hygienists, this practical text covers the basics of nutrition, then goes beyond to examine current, relevant topics specific to different life stages and states of health. Users will learn how to assess clients' eating habits, and teach them how proper nutrition can improve both oral health and overall fitness. Case studies are used throughout to demonstrate how concepts can be applied to specific client situations.
- Key Terms and a true/false Test Your NQ pre-test begin each chapter.
- Learning Objectives explain what students should learn from each chapter.
- Vitamin and mineral information is organized logically, by oral effects on soft tissues or structural tissues.
- Dental Hygiene Considerations boxes list quick facts that can affect the client's care.
- Health Application boxes cover a nutritional issue relevant to each chapter (e.g., diabetes mellitus, obesity, and hypertension).
- Case Application boxes use example case studies to walk students through assessing, evaluating, and treating specific clinical situations.
- Student Readiness sections offer short answer questions, activities, and new case studies.
- More full-color photographs are added, helping you to identify and assess oral problems.
- Chapter on oral health for the elderly discusses the effects of nutrition and eating habits on this population.
- Coverage of high-protein/low-carbohydrate diets shows how they affect oral health.
- Food guide pyramids describe the optimal nutritional levels for children, the elderly, and various ethnic groups.
- Body Mass Index chart in the appendix shows healthy weight ranges, useful in determining health risks associated with weight.
- Glossary defines all key terms, along with the chapter in which they first appeared.